Concerning the longing to lock him up!

TUESDAY, JUNE 20, 2017

David Brooks asks, Where's the beef:
Did someone in or around the Trump campaign collude in some way with the Russians?

We have no way of knowing.

Does someone within the Russian government have some sort of leverage over Donald J. Trump? We can't answer that either, although it's certainly possible.

We hope to see those questions answered. In truth, though, we're less interested in those questions than in a pair of larger political question:

How have Democrats managed to lose so many elections in the past decade? Also, how did a person like Donald J. Trump ever manage to get all those votes? Candidate Clinton won overall. But how did he get so close?

We're more interested in the politics of substance than in the politics of scandal. We think David Brooks has an interesting column today about that general question.

Brooks starts with a recollection about the start of the modern scandal era. He also voices a bit of skepticism about the collusion chase:
BROOKS (6/20/17): I was the op-ed editor at The Wall Street Journal at the peak of the Whitewater scandal. We ran a series of investigative pieces “raising serious questions” (as we say in the scandal business) about the nefarious things the Clintons were thought to have done back in Arkansas.

Now I confess I couldn’t follow all the actual allegations made in those essays. They were six jungles deep in the weeds. But I do remember the intense atmosphere that the scandal created. A series of bombshell revelations came out in the media, which seemed monumental at the time. A special prosecutor was appointed and indictments were expected. Speculation became the national sport.

In retrospect Whitewater seems overblown. And yet it has to be confessed that, at least so far, the Whitewater scandal was far more substantive than the Russia-collusion scandal now gripping Washington.
Ah yes—the thrill of the chase! In truth, no one ever understood the actual claims which were made about the Whitewater pseudo-scandal. But it was exciting at the time!

"At least so far," is Brooks right about the collusion matter? Is it even more of a nothingburger than the Whitewater pseudo-scandal?

We can't answer that question yet. But as he continues, Brooks makes some decent points:
BROOKS (continuing directly): There may be a giant revelation still to come. But as the Trump-Russia story has evolved, it is striking how little evidence there is that any underlying crime occurred—that there was any actual collusion between the Donald Trump campaign and the Russians. Everything seems to be leaking out of this administration, but so far the leaks about actual collusion are meager.

There were some meetings between Trump officials and some Russians, but so far no more than you’d expect from a campaign that was publicly and proudly pro-Putin. And so far nothing we know of these meetings proves or even indicates collusion
For ourselves, we won't be surprised if it turns out that some of the crazier elements of TrumpWorld were involved in some sort of collusion. But so far, no such evidence has been leaked by all those "U.S. officials" who are so verbose about everything else. We're supposed to be thrilled by the fact that the apparently crazy ex-general Flynn sat next to Putin that night.

The culture of scandal—of "Lock him up"—can be very thrilling. But for us modern liberals, the thrill of the chase is helping us hide from our remarkable inability to talk about major substantive issues in winning ways.

Our tribe is very, very dumb. The current exciting chase helps us avoid that fact.

The culture of scandal is very exciting, especially on cable news, where it's simplified and served to us by our favorite stars. We think Brooks' comments in that general area are also worthwhile:
BROOKS: There’s just something worrisome every time we find ourselves replacing politics of democracy with the politics of scandal. In democracy, the issues count, and you try to win by persuasion. You recognize that your opponents are legitimate, that they will always be there and that some form of compromise is inevitable.

In the politics of scandal, at least since Watergate, you don’t have to engage in persuasion or even talk about issues. Political victories are won when you destroy your political opponents by catching them in some wrongdoing. You get seduced by the delightful possibility that your opponent will be eliminated. Politics is simply about moral superiority and personal destruction.

The politics of scandal is delightful for cable news. It’s hard to build ratings arguing about health insurance legislation. But it’s easy to build ratings if you are a glorified Court TV, if each whiff of scandal smoke generates hours of “Breaking News” intensity and a deluge of speculation from good-looking former prosecutors.
That portrait of scandal and cable news is ugly but right on point. In particular, liberals are being sold down the river by the weirdly grinning, multimillionaire corporate tools we're handed on cable each night.

"In the politics of scandal, you don't have to talk about issues?" So true! As Rachel hands us her manifest bullshit, the GOP, behind closed doors, is working on dismantling the ACA.

As the GOP works behind closed doors, Rachel is mugging and clowning, and baldly dissembling, and telling the endless pointless stories her staff pulls out of their ascots. She would jump off the Golden Gate Bridge before she'd discuss the actual way our looting-based "health care system" works. Before she'd discuss the way the corporate world works—the world which is paying her way at $10 million per year.

We liberals! Our inability to discuss health care is the latest chapter in the long book entitled Ridiculous Us. There's a con being played on Ridiculous Us. To judge from the ratings, we love it.

7 comments:

  1. But Fox is worse therefore Maddow shouldn't receive any criticism. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMHO they will never find evidence of collusion between Russia and Trump people. First of all, it's inherently unlikely. Second, the Obama Administration spent months looking for such evidence and never found any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. This is my testimony about the good work of Dr voodoo who help me.... I'm Katherine from London. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to by this world top spell caster that brought back my husband which left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com you can also add Dr.voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719 contact him immediately.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    I'm Paul Roche. I'm from UK, I love to share my testimony to all the people in the forum cos i never thought i will have my girlfriend back and she means so much to me..The girl i want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our weeding for another man..,When i called her she never picked my calls,She deleted me on her Face book and she changed her Face book status from married to Single...when i went to her place of work she told her boss she never want to see me..i lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself any more,my life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until a friend of my told me about a great spell caster, I told him my problem and all have passed through in getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he going to help me...i don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and he told me the reason why my girlfriend left me and also told me some hidden secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast a spell for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days. I called him when i got home and he said he's busy casting those spells and he has bought all the materials needed for the spells,he said am going to see positive results in the next 2 days My girlfriend called me and apologies for all she had done ..she said,she never knew what she's doing and her sudden behaviour was not intentional and she promised not to do that again.it was like am dreaming when i heard that from her and when we ended the call,i called the man and told him my wife called and he said i haven't seen anything yet... he said i will also get my job back in 2 days time..and they called me at my place of work that i should resume work and they going to compensate me for the time limit have spent at home without working..My life is back into shape,i have my girlfriend back and we are happily married now with kids and i have my job back too,This man is really powerful.. he has also helped many of my friends to solve many problems and they are all happy now..Am posting this to the forum for anybody that is interested in meeting the man for help.you can mail him on this e-mail;driayaryi2012@hotmail.com good luck his email; driayaryi2012@hotmail.com And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. Iyaryi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post..very informative...keep it up.please join this website,
    thank you for join
    gclub
    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

    ReplyDelete